Monday, September 24, 2012

VOCAB: Fall #6

1. Adroit: Dexterous; Deft
- The adroit musician can play the guitar with out tiring.
2. Amicable: Friendly; Peaceable
- After arguing we finally came to an amicable decision.
3. Averse: Feeling opposition, distaste/disinclined
- I am averse to gossip but its difficult to avoid.
4. Belligerent: Aggressively hostile
-My mom sent my belligerent brother to his room.
5. Benevolent: Characterized by doing good
- Joseph pictured himself as a very benevolent ruler.
6. Cursory: Performed with haste & scant attention to detail
- I gave a quick cursory glance at my partners paper.
7. Duplicity: Deliberate deceptiveness in behavior or speech
- We couldn't believe our friend was capable of such duplicity.
8. Extol: To praise lavishly
- Like there's still enough honesty to extol.
9. Feasible: capable of being accomplished;possible
- With god I feel feasible.
10. Grimace: Face expressive of pain, contempt/disgust
- There was a grimace upon my face.
11. Holocaust: Great or total destruction
- Even though the Holocaust was a sad thing, it made impact on history.
12. Impervious: Incapable of being penetrated.
- I am impervious to your insults.(:
13. Impetus: An impelling force; impulse
- He lacked the impetus to study.
14. Jeopardy: Danger or risk of loss or injury
- Bob was put in great jeopardy when he was caught.
15. Meticulous: Extremely or excessively careful & precise
- I am very meticulous with my studies to get the best grades.
16. Nostalgia: Bittersweet longing for things/persons.
- Her nostalgia caused her to live in the past.
17. Quintessence: The pure, highly concentrated essence of a thing.
- The earth is the very quintessence of the human condition.
18. retrogress: To move backward to an earlier, inferior, or less complex condition
- Those who retrogress in school are losers.
19. Scrutinize: To examine with great care.
- I scrutinize to everything.
20. Tepid: Moderately warm
- I love taking a shower in the morning with tepid water.

1 comment: